Low event reporting rates are a fact. So what can you do?
The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has reported that event reporting rates in hospitals are as low as 14% of all medical errors that occur. In addition, policies and procedures are rarely changed to prevent future recurrence.
- 21% were not aware of an existing reporting tool
- 24% did not know how to report
- 31% did not know the importance of reporting.
RL recommends three strategies for increasing event reporting at your organization:
- Promoting the event reporting system
- Educating end users on how to report
- Ensuring the importance of reporting is understood